Profile @ a Glance
- Syzygium aromaticum (L.) Merr. And Perry (Syn. Eugenia
- The clove tree is an evergreen that grows to about 8 to 12 m in
- The Tree thrives in all situations ranging from Sea Level upto
altitude of 900 m
- Cloves vary in length from about 1/2 to 3/4 inch (13 to 19 mm).
- Three essential oils are available from this spice: clove bud
oil, clove stem oil and clove leaf oil.
- Clove bud oil, the most expensive and the best quality product,
contains eugenol (80 - 90%), eugenol acetate (15%) and beta
caryophyllene (5 - 12%).
- The clove oil is used to prepare microscopic slides for viewing
and is also a local anesthetic for toothaches.
- It is a strong antiseptic and preservative. It is used to treat
flatulence, colic, indigestion and nausea. Eugenol is used in
perfumes and mouthwashes, in the synthesis of vanillin, and as a
sweetener or intensifier
- The island of Zanzibar, which is part of Tanzania, is the
world's largest producer of cloves.
- Madagascar, Indonesia, Penang, Reunion Island, Seyshelles,
Mauritius, Jamaica, Sri Lanka & India are smaller producers.
- In India, it is cultivated in Tamil Nadu & Kerala
US Government Standards and American Spice Trade Association
Moisture % (wet basis) <8
Extraneous matter % (by weight) <1
Mouldy buds % <1
Cultivation & Processing
Description, Cultivation, Medicinal and Other Use.
- History, Habitat,
Morphology Description, Principal Constituents, Pharmacology,
Toxicology & Clinical Studies
- Mollucas - Spice Island, Spice
Garden - Tamil Nadu, Climate and Soil, Varieties, Selection &
Planting, Manuring & Protection.
- Crimson Clover, White Clover,
Annual & Perennial Clovers
- Garlic Clove Orientation study,
Effects on Plant Emergence & Bulb Diameter and Weight
- Sweet Clover
- Growing Cloves & Processing
- Cultural Practices,
Diseases, Cultural Control and Chemical Control.
- Cultivation of
Cloves, Findings, Judgings
Cloves Harvesting - Images
- Separation of Clove Oil, Acetyleugenol, Eugenol from Cloves.
- Extraction with CO2
- Isolation of Eugenol from Clove Oil,
Test for Unsaturation.
Agricultural and Botanical
Aspects, Harvesting, Drying, Winnowing, Uses & Standards
- Arrival from Villages,
- Small Scale Production, Categories,
Solar Dryer, Methods of Oil Collection, Distillation & Extraction
- Supercritical Extraction
of Solid Matrices by Mathematical Modeling
- Composition of Essential
Oil from Devil's Claw Plant (Proboscidea Louisianica)
- Identify Eugenol by Infrared
Spectroscopy and Thin Layer Chromatography.
- Cloves in Packages
- Commercial Production of
Clove Leaf Oil, Industrial Investment and Technology Project.
- Processing Cloves &
Description, Target Market, Total Investment
- Guidelines, National Clove Agency.
- Oil Industry
- Producers &
- General Description, Environmental
Requirements, Uses, Species & Pests
- Efficiency of Clove Oil as
an Anesthetic for Zebra Fish - Methods & Materials
- Policies at the National and
Regional Level - South Asia, Spices and Beverages.
- Urban Land Development, Oman
Sultan Introduced Cultivation of Cloves
- Traditional Indian Remedy for
Diarrhea & Toothache
- Clove Oil as Fish Anesthetic
- Clove Oil as an Anaesthetic for Adult
Sockeye Salmon -Materials & Methods.
- Effects of Clove Oil Anaesthesia on
Onchorhynchus Mykiss, Methods and Materials.
extract of Syzygium aromaticum (L.) Merr. &
- Most Noxious Cigarettes and
- Pemban Economy, Beekeepers, Hive
Types, Honey and Wax Processing & Marketing
- Status of Clove Oil and Eugenol Oil for
Anesthesia of Fish.
- Review of Food Engineering & Processing
- Cloves in Pepper
- Food Preservation
- Suppliers of Organic Pesticides
- Clove Mead
- Fresh Cosmetics
- Home Care
Products & Company Profiles
Clove Oil and the FDA.
- Private Sector Companies
- Material Safety Data Sheet, Clove Leaf
- Material Safety Data Sheet - Oil of
Clove, Hule de Clove.
- Clove Oil Company
Order the CD